Sifu John Morrow

Sifu John Morrow

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 41 The Big Day, Push Ups for Peace Part 2

It was exactly 3:00. As each of the charity representatives spoke, I listened and geared up mentally at the same time. I was there not only for myself, but for other people and organizations. Children's Therapy Center, Kids Against Hunger, Make A Wish Foundation and The Optimist Club were all there, expecting and depending on me to succeed. During Pastor Steve's invocation I allowed myself to relax yet still be geared up , ready to begin, as though I had my finger on an internal "go" button. After the pastor was done, Jennifer the emcee turned it over to me and it was finally time to start. I took the crowd of nearly fifty participants through some warm ups and headed toward my spot. The little black clock in front of me was five seconds from the twelve, the whistle blew and we were off. I didn't know what to expect. Would I have pain or even failure in my shoulder? The first set of 33 push ups went very well. With each set, I gained more confidence that I would break the world record . As the hour progressed I built my own little world consisting of a mat, a chair, a clock and a whistle blowing every minute. I was intent only on what I had to do. I was aware that there were two hundred or so people around me but I didn't see them and only vaguely heard them. Although it wasn't that warm, sweat was dripping profusely from my body after about twenty minutes. There was only 35 to 40 seconds between each set of 34 push ups to relax, get my breathing normal and get keep my mind right for the next set. As expected, it started getting a little rough about 40 minutes in to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment