Sifu John Morrow

Sifu John Morrow

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day 41 The Big Day, Push Ups for Peace Part 3

All I had to do was stick to the plan. Do 60 sets 0f push ups on the backs of my hands every minute for an hour. 40 of those sets would be 33 push ups and 20 of the sets would be 34 push ups for a total of exactly 2000. That would break the old record of 1,940 in an hour set in 2006 by Paddy Doyle of England. I knew it would get tough in the last third of the hour, but I didn't expect to fall from exhaustion on the last push up somewhere around the fiftieth minute. I really had to focus on resting and breathing to get my energy back in those last few minutes. Maybe it helped that I took an extra five seconds rest in each of the last five sets. Maybe it was that the music was blaring (I think it was the "Rocky" theme) and that the crowd was chanting my name: Mor-row! _ Mor-row!_ Mor-row! I just know there was a lot of excitement and it gave me the extra finishing energy I needed. I had done it. 2000 push ups on the back of the hands in an hour, with 5 seconds to spare. I felt great exhilaration, joy and relief as I signed autographs, thanked attendees and gave interviews. I was thankful that I had made it through the fasting, the training, the fund raising, promoting and film shooting and now the record attempt and the event. Strangely enough, my shoulder didn't even hurt during the push ups. It wasn't till about 10 minutes after I was done that it began to get sore again. With ice on my shoulder, I stood talking to people as the crowd slowly dispersed. Workers who stayed were encouraged to help themselves to some of the five complimentary pizzas from Happy Joe's. I wasn't ready to eat yet... 6:30 p.m. drank a 14 oz. Muscle Milk w/ 25 grams of protein. 7:15-8:30 p.m. Played Scrabble with my wife and daughter to unwind. I won with a score of 211 points. Up till almost midnight reading. Finally I unwound enough to go to bed after such a big day.

No comments:

Post a Comment